It is nice when you return home, and your puppy does not rush to you with all its might, demolishing everything in its path, but runs up and stretches out its paw to say hello. Good manners always command respect. Moreover, this trick can be taught to a very small puppy.
How to teach your dog to shake is a simple question for professional trainers but an entertaining trick for dogs. It doesn’t take long to train your dog to shake, but you need to give your short dog lessons for several days in a row.
In the beginning
So, let’s begin. Teaching a puppy to do this trick is not as difficult as you think. In the beginning, decide what this command will be called.
- high five;
- give a paw.
First, as always, we teach the puppy to do this exercise without naming the exercise. We will need a clicker and dog treats.
- Before you start learning this trick, you need to create a calm and quiet environment. Lock up with your puppy in the room so that nothing distracts it.
- Sit on the floor; you should be as low as possible to the floor. Don’t start practicing this exercise while standing.
Eventually, you will learn how to teach your dog to shake and maybe even greet you this way.
1. Take the treat in a fist and hold it in front of the dog’s nose. Unlike teaching the command «sit», the dog should not see the treat during training in this case. A treat can be shown only to attract the pet’s attention, and then it must be hidden in a fist
2. Wait for the dog to reach out to you. It won’t take long if your pet regularly uses its paws to draw your attention or play. If your dog is not prone to this behavior, it may first try to extract the treat from your fist with his mouth. Do not react to such attempts by the dog, as this is not the behavior you want.
- When the dog lifts its paw off the ground (even if just a little), immediately praise it (with the words «well done,» «yes»), and open your fist to give the treat.
- You can even reward your dog for merely shifting the weight onto one paw (raising the other paw in preparation), as this is also a step in the direction you want.
- Do not forget to use a clicker. Click it as soon as the dog lifts its paw (or shifts weight on one paw).
- Use your free hand to catch the dog’s raised paw.
- Don’t scold your dog for trying to use the mouth. Encourage only the desired behavior like lifting the paw and ignoring unwanted behavior (for example, using the mouth). This will stimulate the repetition of the desired behavior.
3. Start using the voice command. When your dog regularly lifts its paw in response to a fist with a treat in front of its nose, add a voice command to do the trick. Use the phrase you chose during the training preparation phase. Give the command immediately after clenching the palm into a fist and before the dog lifts its paw to receive the treat.
- Praise and treat your dog immediately for responding to a voice command.
- Your ultimate goal is to train your dog to only pitch its paw on voice command, without using a fist with a treat in front of the nose. Gradually eliminate the treat throughout several sessions.
- Do not repeat the voice command for the dog to follow. If your dog doesn’t respond to command the first time, it probably doesn’t fully understand it yet. In this case, continue to practice the command with the prompt in the form of a fist with a treat.
4. Consolidation of this exercise. Reward the puppy as soon as the dog touches your hand with its paw.
5. Now we enter the voice command. Say the command in your voice each time the puppy touches your palm with its paw. Remember to praise and label the dog’s good behavior with a clicker click. Repeat several times.
6. Consolidation of the achieved results.
Now you know how to teach your dog to shake. We hope that these recommendations will be helpful for you and your four-legged friend.