Some are convinced that puppy shoes are nothing more than a pet owner’s whim. Sometimes this accessory really serves for decorative purposes, and it is not necessary to wear it at all. But there are situations when a pet needs shoes.
It is worth noting that most often the owners buy shoes for small breeds of dogs: some decorate the pet in this way, and some take care of its protection. One way or another, footwear for large breed dogs is also an irreplaceable accessory.
Why do you need puppy shoes?
First of all, it protects the paws of the pet: in winter — from cold, in autumn — from puddles and mud, and in summer it can protect the dog from stones and insect bites.
Also, this accessory is very helpful against the effects of reagents used to treat asphalt in cold weather against ice formation. Very often, the chemicals will burn and corrode the delicate skin of your dog’s paw pads.
Types of Puppy Shoes:
- Decorative. A great option for exhibitions or holidays, if the owner wants to decorate and dress up his pet;
- Daily. This shoe is worn while walking. Boots differ depending on the season: in summer it can be open sandals, in autumn — shoes made of rubberized waterproof material, in winter — insulated models with fur;
- Sports. These shoes are worn by sled dogs, hunting and rescue dogs. It is specially designed for their needs, with a thick sole and protective bindings;
- Knitted or homemade. Most often, these are soft shoes for small dogs that are freezing at home.
In order for the shoes to be comfortable and the dog to feel comfortable, when choosing shoes, pay attention to some features.
- Choose models from high quality materials. The upper can be made of suede, leather, light ventilated fabrics, and the outsole can be made of rubberized materials;
- The toes of dog boots must be firm, otherwise the pet may just break them with its claws;
- It is advisable that the boots are with Velcro or zippers. Lacing can be used as a decorative element;
- Rhinestones, bows, feathers and other colorful decorations can interest the dog, and she will even try to taste them. This should be monitored and, if possible, give preference to shoes without poorly fixed small elements that the dog can bite off and swallow;
- Dogs can wear shoes at least six months, and sometimes a year, so as not to deform the developing joints;
- The longer the dog’s feet and hands, the higher the shoes should be. So, one model is unlikely to fit a miniature Pomeranian and Italian greyhound.
How to choose the size of puppy shoes?
Of course, it is best to try on your dog’s favorite shoes right in the store. But if there is no such possibility, it is not scary. You need to measure the length of your pet’s foot.
To do this, place the dog on a blank sheet of paper and circle its front legs along with the claws. This will be the length and width of the pet’s foot. If in doubt, you can do the same with the hind legs, but they are usually smaller. Further, the table of shoe sizes for dogs will help you navigate. Each manufacturer offers its own.
The smallest sizes in dwarf decorative dogs weighing up to 1.5-1.7 kg: Chihuahua, Toy Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier.
How to Train Your Puppy To Wear Shoes?
Whichever comfortable and “correct” model you choose, if the dog is not used to wearing boots, the effort will be wasted.
It is necessary to start training even at puppyhood, as soon as the veterinarian permits. Light home socks are suitable for this. The first «wearing sessions» should last only a few minutes, gradually increasing the time until the dog gets used to it.
If the dog tries to pull off his socks, stop the attempts with a stern voice, try to distract him by playing. As soon as the pet stops paying attention to the shoes, give him a treat, praise and pet. The best way to learn is through positive reinforcement.